Fijian Prime Minister Holds Bilateral Talks with Chinese President
Hon. Prime Minister, Voreqe Bainimarama led bilateral talks with the President of the People's Republic of China, H.E. Xi Jinping at Nadi this morning.
During the bilateral talks, H.E. President Xi congratulated the Fijian Prime Minister on the success of the 2014 Fijian elections. He also commended the Government on achievements in nation building and economic and social developemnt in recent years.
The bilateral talks were followed by the exchange of Memoranda of Agreements and Memoranda of Understandings between Fiji and China, which included a visa exemption that means that Fijians no longer require a pre-entry visa to enter China. The others include;
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Governmetn of the Republic of Fiji and the Government of the People's Republic of China on the Establishment of a Chinese Cultural Centre in Fiji
- Memorandum of Understanding between the Ministry of National Defence of the People's Republic of China and the Ministry of Defence, National Security and Immigration of the Republic of Fiji
- Memorandum of Understanding between the National Development and Reform Commission of the People's Republic of China and the Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport of the Republic of Fiji concerning the provision of goods for addressing climate change in Fiji
- Agreement on Ecnomic and Technical Cooperation between the Government of the People's Republic of China and the Government of the Republic of Fiji
- Exchange of letters about the construction of Vunidawa Sports Complex project
The Prime Minister will hold further talks this afternoon with the Chinese President and Pacific leaders who are in the country for the China State visit.